El Laguito beach in Cartagena, Columbia makes a great best beach vacations for families. A family hotspot with clear
When to go? Good Question
The ideal time to visit Cartagena is between January and March. The temperature is slightly warm but not humid during these months and cools down in the evenings with the temperature dropping to almost 25?C.
The Cost Factor
The currency used in Columbia is called Peso (COP). All foreign currencies must be exchanged to Peso before use within the country except for US dollars which can be changed at local banks and exchange centers. An amount of US $10,000 or equivalent must be declared at the airport upon arrival.
- A daily budget of US $35 will get:
- A 3-course meal for 2 people at a mid-range restaurant $22
- Meal at a fast-food restaurant $5
- Local transport, One-way ticket $0.70
- Taxi normal tariff $2
- Taxi normal tariff 1 km $2.33
For a family of four, the best accommodation options are Hilton Cartagena at $175 per night for a twin room, Apartamento Nuevo Conquistador at $114 per night for an apartment with sea view and Unik Cartagena Edificio Poseidon at $78 per night for a junior apartment.
The best way to travel around the city is in a taxi as it the most affordable mode of transport. Catch a bus if you want to check out the surrounding towns. Tickets cost around $28 to $44 per person.
Top things to do in Cartagena
- Everyone loves chocolate, right? You have the chance to try out some delicious chocolate and learn about chocolate making stages at Choco Museo (Chocolate Museum). The museum sells beauty products and souvenirs made from chocolate. Open from 10 am to 10 pm and entrance is free for all.
- Rent a bicycle for around $2 and explore the historic downtown area of the city. You’ll need to carry an ID as it is a mandatory requirement for bike rental. This picturesque spot is perfect for candid photos and a walk if you want to.
- Aviario Nacional de Colombia (Bar? Bird Sanctuary) is home to almost 140 feathered species living in a widespread area that replicates their natural surroundings. Kids will be thrilled to see macaws, flamingos, and hummingbirds. The highlight of the sanctuary is its 2 harpy eagles which are the largest hunting birds in South America. Tickets start at $32 per person.
- CASTILLO DE SAN FELIPE DE BARAJAS is one of the city’s iconic landmarks. This mega structure has taken 150 years to build. Stroll inside exploring the architecture and hidden passages which will give you a clear picture of a war scene. Tickets cost around $6 per person.
- Shop all you want under one roof at the Mall Plaza El Castillo. The mall consists of stores that cater to every budget along with a food court. Head to Centro Commercial Plaza Bocagrande which apart from luxury outlets also has a food court, bowling alley, a cinema and more.
- To take a bite off some local food head to La Mulata and La Taperia. Middle Eastern folks can get a taste of home food at Novo Kebeb Grill and for some Asian and veg options checkout Ganesha Restaurante and Maharaja.
Cartagena Beach Vacation. Add it to your Bucket List!!!
Cartagena is calling you for a wonderful beach holiday you’re going to cherish for life. Lovely weather, lively beaches, beautiful sceneries, great food, and shopping, what else can one ask for? It will be one of the best beach vacations you ever had!
Languages Spoken: If you prefer to learn Spanish before you travel, my recommendation would be Rocket Languages. They provide an award-winning learning course that is used by over 120,000 people just like you to master a new language. You can try the courses out ABSOLUTELY FREE by simply clicking on the language you want to learn.
Flights to Cartagena, Colombia: I recommend searching through Kayak. They scan tons of different travel discount sites and feature special flight deals. You can fly into directly into Cartagena or Barranquilla and drive for 2.5 hours along the coastline.
Rental Cars in Cartagena, Colombia: Rentalcars.com is the world’s biggest online car rental service. Working with leading suppliers, they offer great prices on all car groups, including luxury cars, people carriers, minivans,
Travel Insurance: As someone who spent close to 20 years working in insurance, I strongly recommend buying travel insurance if you are going on holiday. It costs a fraction of your holiday but covers the potential risk of the entire holiday. You can read my post on why you need travel insurance.
Pin it if you loved it!
Thank you for taking the time to read this post.
If you appreciate my posts, one way to show your support is by sharing it or leaving a comment below. You can follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest!
6 thoughts on “Best Beach Vacations for Families – Cartagena, Colombia”
Thanks for taking out time to write this article, colombia has never struck me as a tourist destination It is known for some other things but not tourism . I think tourism agencies in collaboration with the government of columbia needs to do more in advertisement and policy making geared towards positioning columbia as a top tourist destination
Cartagena looks very appealing from this write up.
I must say that I like this article because I like to travel to warm locations. I have never been to Colombia and I would like to visit it. It is not expensive at all and February is the best time to travel. My wife and me like to cycle and this is first thing that we would do there.
Thank you for sharing with us this great post on Best Beach Vacations for Families.We are in good days for travel in families as Christmas is about to come and New Year.Colombia is a good place to visit as I see in this post even in movies we always watch talking about this wonderful country.
I like chocolate and this can be a big attraction to me to visit Colombia.
Unfortunately I will not make it soon due to my pocket problem,lol.
A very great review of Colombia, never though of it as a beach vacation destination of choice till now. I would love to visit the place, there are enough activities to keep one active all through the stay even away from the water. The prices are also so affordable from accommodation to the food.
Aww!! I want to go there so badly and leave this cold winter behind. I used to go there with my dad every year and we loved it. Probably it is much beautiful now and more things to do. I’m from Bogotá, so when I travel back to Colombia I usually go there but I will try to make it to Cartagena next time.
Never heard of this place and now i wanna go there 🙂