Jamaica is one of the best beach vacations for families! This destination boasts wide strips of beautiful sandy beaches and crystal clear waters!
With so many beaches on the island to choose from to spend your beach vacation, head straight to Cornwall beach at Montego Bay. his family-friendly beach costs USD 5 to access and is absolutely worth it.
When to go? Good Question
A good time to visit is between April and May when the weather is still pretty dry except in Port Antonio and the northeast which may receive some rainfall.
The Cost Factor
Jamaica’s currency is called the Jamaican dollar and it is a closed currency, which means it can only circulate within the island. The US dollar is accepted at areas that serve as a tourist spot such as hotels, beaches and tourist attractions whereas everywhere else you will need to have Jamaican dollars to spend. Plus, if you’re from a country other than the US then you will have to convert your local currency into USD first and then head to Jamaica.
A daily budget of $30 will cover:
- A meal at an inexpensive restaurant $5
- A meal at a fast-food restaurant $5
- One way ticket through local transport $1.09
- Movie ticket (international), per person $10
Lodgings in Jamaica
Jamaica offers a wide variety of glitzy glam hotel options to choose from. Sunscape Splash Montego Bay Resort and Spa at $548 per night for a double room, for complete privacy, go for Seawind Waterfront two-bedroom apartment for $195 per night and The Hills at Rose Hall for a two-bedroom house at $105 per night, all best to accommodate a family of 4.
You can also read about The 5 Best Family Hotels in Jamaica!!!
Communal route taxis are the most affordable way to get around the island at fares of $2 per 50 km or a 10-minute ride for $1. They have route taxis mentioned on the front and carry a red license plate. You can also hop on a local bus or a minibus known as a coaster for just $1 for a 50 km distance.
Top things to do in Montego Bay, Jamaica
- Take the kids for fun water slides and go-cart circuit at Aquasol Water Park. Alongside adults can take up snorkeling, banana boat rides as well as quick games of volleyball, table-tennis, etc. Opening hours 10 am to 10 pm and tickets cost $6 per adult and $5 per child.
- Encounter Jamaica?s national bird, the hummingbird along with other exotic species on the island at Rockland’s Bird Sanctuary and let the kids feed those little critters too. Open every day from 10 am to 6 pm. The tickets cost $20.
- If you enjoy wandering in historical buildings and reading ghostly stories then head to Rose Hall Great House, which is a Georgian mansion known for the legend of the White Witch of Rose Hall. Tickets cost $25 per adults and $10 for children aged 4 to 11 years. Open daily from 9:15 AM to 5:15 PM.
- Enjoy an adventurous Zipline at Mystic Mountain while getting a picturesque view of the scenic surroundings. There’s also a splash pool to cool down afterward and a restaurant for a quick snack.
- Get going for some duty-free shopping at Shoppes at Rose Hall. The shopping center houses 12 duty-free outlets along with 21 other stores, a coffee shop and a restaurant. Also, check out the Craft Market for locally made goods and souvenirs.
- Feeling hungry? Get a taste of amazing Indian food at Mystic India, for some local goodness checkout Juici Patties and The HouseBoat Grill. For a quick bite Caf? Mocha and The Coffee n Creme Cafe.
And, if that’s not enough to get your bags packing, here are 10 Unforgettable Things to do in Jamaica with Kids
Jamaica Best Beach Vacation for families – add it to your bucket list
After you witness the last Jamaican sunset and head back home you’ll be all smiles thinking about the wonderful time spent with your family on the best beach vacation EVER! Trust me, Jamaica is a Jam!
>>> Related Post – 7 of the Best Beach Toys
Flights to Jamaica: I recommend searching through jetradar.com They scan tons of different travel discount sites and feature special flight deals. Sangster International Airport is the closest to Montego Bay however if you are planning on spending more time seeing the island there is Norman Manley International Airport, which is on the south-east side of the island
Rental Cars in Jamaica: Rentalcars.com is the world’s biggest online car rental service. Working with leading suppliers, they offer great prices on all car groups, including luxury cars, people carriers, minivans
Travel Insurance: I recommend you always take out travel insurance before your next vacation. What happens if you suffer from illness, injury, theft or a cancellation? With travel insurance, you can have peace of mind and not worry. I love World Nomads travel insurance and have been using it for years. Their comprehensive coverage is second to none and their online claims process is very user-friendly.
Pin it if you loved it!
Thank you for taking the time to read this post.