Best Beach Vacations for Families – Cartagena, Colombia
This post has been updated with additional information
El Laguito beach in Cartagena, Columbia makes a great best beach vacations for families. A family hotspot with clear
**This post contains an affiliate link. If you click on the link and purchase something, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. This helps me to fund my blogging. Full disclosure at the bottom of the page**
No time to finish reading our Best Beach Vacations for Families – Cartagena, Colombia? Pin it and read it later.
When to go? Good Question
The ideal time to visit Cartagena is between January and March. The temperature is slightly warm but not humid during these months and cools down in the evenings with the temperature dropping to almost 25°C.
The Cost Factor
The currency used in Columbia is called Peso (COP). All foreign currencies must be exchanged to Peso before use within the country except for US dollars which can be changed at local banks and exchange centers. Amount of US $10000 or equivalent must be declared at the airport upon arrival.
- A daily budget of US $35 will get:
- A 3-course meal for 2 people at a mid-range restaurant $22
- Meal at a fast-food restaurant $5
- Local transport, One-way ticket $0.70
- Taxi normal tariff $2
- Taxi normal tariff 1 km $2.33
For a family of four, the best accommodation options are Hilton Cartagena at $175 per night for a twin room, Apartamento Nuevo Conquistador at $114 per night for an apartment with sea view and Unik Cartagena Edificio Poseidon at $78 per night for a junior apartment.
The best way to travel around the city is in a taxi as it the most affordable mode of transport. Catch a bus if you want to check out the surrounding towns. Tickets cost around $28 to $44 per person.
Top things to do in Cartagena
- Everyone loves chocolate, right? You have the chance to try out some delicious chocolate and learn about chocolate making stages at Choco Museo (Chocolate Museum). The museum sells beauty products and souvenirs made from chocolate. Open from 10 am to 10 pm and entrance is free for all.
- Rent a bicycle for around $2 and explore the historic downtown area of the city. You’ll need to carry an ID as it is a mandatory requirement for bike rental. This picturesque spot is perfect for candid photos and a walk if you want to.
- Aviario Nacional de Colombia (Barú Bird Sanctuary) is home to almost 140 feathered species living in a widespread area that replicates their natural surroundings. Kids will be thrilled to see macaws, flamingos, and hummingbirds. The highlight of the sanctuary are its 2 harpy eagles which are the largest hunting birds in South America. Tickets start at $32 per person.
- CASTILLO DE SAN FELIPE DE BARAJAS is one of the city’s iconic landmarks. This mega structure has taken 150 years to build. Stroll inside exploring the architecture and hidden passages which will give you a clear picture of a war scene. Tickets cost around $6 per person.
- Shop all you want under one roof at the Mall Plaza El Castillo. The mall consists of stores that cater to every budget along with a food court. Head to Centro Comercial Plaza Bocagrande which apart from luxury outlets also has a food court, bowling alley, a cinema and more.
- To take a bite off some local food head to La Mulata and La Taperia. Middle Eastern folks can get a taste of home food at Novo Kebeb Grill and for some Asian and veg options checkout Ganesha Restaurante and Maharaja.
Beach Vacation. Add it to your Bucket List
Cartagena is calling you for a wonderful beach holiday you’re going to cherish for life. Lovely weather, lively beaches, beautiful sceneries, great food, and shopping, what else can one ask for? It will be one of the best beach vacations you ever had!
Languages Spoken: If you prefer to learn Spanish before you travel, my recommendation would be Rocket Languages. They provide an award-winning learning course which is used by over 120,000 people just like you to master a new language. You can try the courses out ABSOLUTELY FREE by simply clicking on the language you want to learn.
Flights to Cartagena, Colombia: I recommend searching through jetradar.com They scan tons of different travel discount sites and feature special flight deals. You can fly into directly into Cartagena or Barranquilla and drive for 2.5 hours along the coastline.
Rental Cars in Cartagena, Colombia: Rentalcars.com is the world’s biggest online car rental service. Working with leading suppliers, they offer great prices on all car groups, including luxury cars, people carriers, minivans,
Travel Insurance: Most importantly, make sure you get insurance before you fly. Travel insurance from WorldNomads.com is available to people from 140 countries. It covers for overseas medical, evacuation, baggage and a range of adventure sports and activities. You can read all about why you need it here
Enjoyed reading about Best Beach Vacations for Families – Cartagena, Colombia? Pin it now, read it again later:
If you appreciate my posts, one way to show your support is by sharing it or leaving a comment below. Or, follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest! After that subscribe to my mailing list and make your online purchases using links from my Store.
Thank you for taking the time to read this post.
A football-mad father of two wonderful girls, a pain in the butt hubby, a digital nomad, an insurance expert and budding entrepreneur. Just looking to find ways to spend more time with my family while providing for them financially. Hope you enjoy my blog and have a good one!