This post has been updated with additional information
Kerala proudly represents natural scenic beauty, long coastlines and some of the best beaches. I?d pick Cherai beach anytime as it is the best beach vacations for families Kerala boasts.
**This post contains an affiliate link. If you click on the link and purchase something, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. This helps me to fund my blogging. Full disclosure at the bottom of the page**
How to get to Cherai?
Upon reaching the city of Kochi, Kerala, Cherai beach lies at a 25 km distance from downtown Kochi and is 20 km from Cochin International Airport. Aluva Railway which is 23 km from Cherai or Ernakulam Railway Station which is 40 km away. From either you can take a taxi for US $5.14. By road, you can take a bus from Cochin-North to Paravur-Cherai for US $0.12.
So what can I do there with my family?
Well, apart from walking down the 15 km long coastline, which is surrounded by thick coconut groves and paddy fields, you can splash calm water over each other, take a swim, surf or even sunbathe.
- The beachfront is the perfect spot for clicking candid and posed photos.
- Feeling more adventurous? You can take a speedboat ride or a water scooter. Additionally, you can take a canoe ride or snorkel.
- When you?ve had enough of the water sports, hire a bicycle for as low as US $0.58 per day and move around the surrounding village to explore local life.
- There?s a good chance of getting a view of the dolphins as they?re often spotted close to the beach.
- Families love to hang out at Subhash Bose Park, which is located near Marine Drive, Kochi city. The park has recently been renovated and is a special place for families to bond and spend some quality time together. Also, kids can enjoy some fun rides and swings. Taxi is the best way to get to the park. Normal tariff starts at US $2.19. Open daily from 10 am to 9 pm.
- Wonderla amusement park is a favorite among kids as it offers some thrilling rides and also has a water park. It is open daily, from 11 am to 6 pm during weekdays and 11 am to 7 pm throughout weekends and public holidays. Tickets for an adult cost US $14.19 and $9.70 for children.
Shop to your heart?s desire
Kochi has something for every kind of shopper.
- For national and international brands under one roof, head to Lulu Mall. Located at 34/1000, NH 47 Edapally, Kochi.
- For authentic Indian sarees, checkout Milan Design boutique which comprises of a wide variety of beautifully crafted sarees, ranging from conventional designs to designer ones. Find it at Habeeb Towers, Mahatma Gandhi Road.
- ABAD Nucleus Mall, is where you?ll find most local Indian brands that cater to a foreign audience as well. It?s an ideal place to shop for chic clothing and jewelry. Addressed, NH 49, Poonithura, Maradu, Kochi.
Feast on some great food by the beach
A couple of cool spots to beat those hunger cravings are Lilliput Multi Cuisine Restaurant, which also caters to Muslim families looking for halal food. Chilli Out Cafe is worth a visit if you want to grab some pizza, barbecue along with some veg options. For fast food on the go, head to Coffee Espresso and Burger Spot.
Wake up to a beautiful Sea View
There are numerous hotels and resorts surrounding the beach and I?ve picked some with the best facilities and beach views. Sunset Beach Villa Cherai gives you a double room with sea view for US $51 per night as well as Petit Elephant,
The state of Kerala is like an entire country in itself within India, as it is far from the conventional cities full of traffic, pollution and the glitz and glam of the film industry. Don?t miss this gem of a place for consolatory stay.
Flights to Kerala: I recommend searching through KAYAK. They are the world?s leading travel search engine. It searches other travel sites to give travellers the information they need to find the right flights, hotels, rental cars and vacation rentals. The website and apps also offer tools to help plan and manage your trip, including Price Alerts, Price Forecast and free itinerary management.
Rental Cars in Kerala: Rentalcars.com is the world?s biggest online car rental service. Working with leading suppliers, they offer great prices on all car groups, including luxury cars, people carriers, minivans
Travel Insurance: Make sure you get Travel Insurance before you fly. Travel insurance from WorldNomads.com is available to people from 140 countries. It covers for overseas medical, evacuation, baggage and a range of adventure sports and activities. You can read all about why you need it here
Next up, Auckland, home to the hobbits (woohoo)
Thank you for taking the time to read this post.