Do you know Egypt was enlisted as one of the best winter sun destinations of 2017? And rightfully so! This amazing country is home to one of the oldest civilizations known to man and the best discoveries ever made.
If you plan on vacating in the land of the Pharaohs, take some good time off from work as there’s so much to explore and enjoy.
Where to stay and what to expect?
There are numerous cities you can visit but I’m only going to recommend the top 3 in my opinion which are Cairo (the capital), Luxor, and Alexandria. You’ll be surprised to find some luxurious accommodation options at great prices in this holiday destination.
In Cairo, the Pyramisa Isis Hotel & Suites Luxor costs only USD $86 per night, Concorde El Salam Hotel available for USD $124 and Dusit Thani Lake View Hotel for USD $225 (prices are for a per night twin/double room for a family of 4, which includes 2 adults and 2 kids).
Weather during the winter season is mild and cool during the nights, also expect occasional rainfall. Even if the day is sunny, temples and other monumental buildings are usually cool. I advise you to bring along some warm clothing because it can get chilly at times.
Taxis and buses are the easiest and most affordable way of transport from place to place, including switching between cities. Charges are usually $1 or less for short trips within Cairo and Alexandria.If you’re feeling a bit adventurous, hire a bicycle in Luxor for $10 to $12 per day and explore the sights for yourself.
Travel back in time
Upon reaching Egypt the first thing people usually want to do is to visit the ancient Pyramids of Giza. It is the third-largest city in Egypt and is located in the southwest of Cairo. These gigantic structures have been a point of attraction not only for tourists but also for archaeologists and historians.
- If you’re traveling with family, I’d suggest booking a tour or hiring a local guide, who’ll inform you of the vast history and mysteries of the pharaohs and the sphinx.
- Take a cruise along the River Nile. You can go for a 3 or 4 days cruise or a weeklong trip.
- There are various museums and temples containing artifacts and belongings of the powerful kings and queens on ancient Egypt. The Luxor museum, the Grand Egyptian Museum in Giza, and the temple of Karnak being favorites among tourists.
- Lying close to the Alexandria corniche is the Montazah Gardens which are a great way to spend some quality time away from the hustle and bustle of the city.
- Take the kids for a joyful camel ride, or a fun-filled experience in Dream Park, Cairo, which is a full-fledged amusement park with rides for all age groups. Additionally, kids will love Fagnoon arts and crafts centers in Alexandria, where they’ll get to learn and create pottery, paintings, and sand art. They’ll also get to enjoy some traditional bread and pastries.
- Don’t forget to try authentic Egyptian food such as Koshary and Ful Medames, which are great options for vegetarians. Also, apart from the usual Middle Eastern desserts such as Kunafa and Baklawa, try Um Ali.
- Shopping in Egypt is as classic as the country itself. Head to the local souqs (markets) where you can shop traditional clothing, handicrafts, artifacts, jewelry, and other accessories. Be careful while shopping for carpets and antiques though. There’s quite a chance you’ll be tricked into buying stuff that was made only a few years ago but the seller claims it to be centuries old.
The culture-rich, mystic and wonderful Egypt is definitely one of the best holiday destinations to spend under winter sun and create lasting memories with family and loved ones.
Thank you for taking the time to read this post.